Saturday, March 20, 2010

Through Him or Through Me

Bobby and I joke a lot about our gifts and the way God uses us.
We both lead worship.
We both teach (preach) on Sunday morning.
We both do a good bit of "counseling".
Today I was working on tomorrow's message and like always, I was talking it trough with him, asking his advice about things I was planning to teach and share. He made some joke about me being on a higher plane then him because I teach more often than he (which honestly is just not true!) And maybe I should call someone more worthy like the other teachers at our church. I reminded him that even if that was true, he is the one with whom I talk things through, ask for advice, and pre-teach the message to. He smiled and said, "Yeah, your just a prettier way to get my ideas out!"
We laughed and said how as long as it communicated God's message, who cared if He used the prettier method!
But it is so true. We do ministry together in many ways that I understand aren't typical. I feel truly blessed that we get to share our callings as much as we do. It leaves the door wide open to competition though.
And I am pretty competitive! But with my husband? In ministry? Not even an option. I am thrilled that God's work is being done through him and on another day through me, sometimes in very similar ways. The day I am jealous of my husbands gifts or he is jealous of mine would be a sad day for our marriage.
That we get to serve God side by side and help each other, encourage each other, understand each other's experiences and struggles is an awesome thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment