Friday, May 7, 2010

The Corsage

So the first year I was officially a mother, I informed Bobby that I needed a corsage for Mothers' Day. (That sounds really bossy, I know. But I really wanted one, he was clueless about it, and I knew he would love a little direction.) So I got one! The next year, I reminded him gently and got one again! For several years, I got a corsage on Mothers' Day. It was awesome!

But its been a while, and honestly, I hadn't noticed. Strange that something that was so important to me just isn't anymore. I know, its just a corsage, but it was like a rite of passage to me. I had finally entered the stage of life where I got a flower on my shirt once a year. Woo Hoo! Isn't that crazy?! I think honestly, I just haven't had time to think about that stuff for a long time. But something that has always made my life super enjoyable is noticing and really enjoying the little things. It didn't used to take much for me to get really excited and crazy happy. Cheesy stuff too, like a sunbeam in just the right place, or Bobby's hand on my leg when other people are around. Stuff that I have apparently become to busy or distracted to notice.
But that was who I was. No, it's who I am. I am simple, almost naive that way. I can find goodness in just about anything. I can find joy in most days. I praise God for making me that way! But I guess at this stage of my life, I am being distracted by everything else.

Here's what I love about Bobby. He came home today from the gym with a bouquet of flowers. That is so not Bobby. He never buys flowers when I would expect him to (like on Mothers' Day). But he got them for me because he knew I would be thrilled to get them! (I was actually hoping that the kids would volunteer to buy me some when we were at the store together earlier in the day. They did not.) And he didn't just buy me flowers for Mothers' Day. He bought me a corsage.

Because even when I forget who I am, he doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment